Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tasty Tuesdays: Steak Involtini


In an effort to actually use my cookbooks and learn how to cook (one of my goals for the year), I've decided to implement Tasty Tuesdays. I'll post a new recipe that I tried to make each week and what my finished product looked like.
First up, Giade de Laurentis' Steak Involtini (recipe courtesy of foodnetwork.com)


Ingredients

Breading:

  • 1 cup plain bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Filling:

  • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, plus 1/4 cup
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 (8-ounce) London broil steaks, trimmed and pounded 1/8-inch thick
  • 1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce
  • Special equipment: 4 (4-inch) skewers

Directions

For the breading: In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Set aside.

For the filling: In a large bowl, mix together 1/4 cup of Parmesan, mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup olive oil, basil, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cut the steaks in half crosswise and place on a work surface. Spread the mixture evenly over the steaks. Roll up the steaks and secure with skewers.

In a medium skillet, heat the remaining 1/4 cup of oil over medium heat. Roll the steaks in the bread crumb mixture until coated and add to the skillet. Cook the steaks until brown on all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the marinara sauce to the pan. Bring the sauce to a simmer and scrape up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Simmer, turning occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes for medium-well.

Remove the skewers, place the steaks on a cutting board and slice thinly. Arrange the steak slices on plates and serve with the marinara sauce.

So here's what I did differently:

  • Nixed the breadcrumbs since I'm not supposed to have bread and just rubbed the whole thing in parmesan.
  • I used a really big flank steak because I couldn't find London Broil. I sliced it in half (and my finger with it) and after getting a band-aid, I stuffed the whole thing with the filling and rolled it up. Since it was so big it looked like this:
  • So after browning all of it I realized the middle was never going to cook all the way through. I took the whole thing out and put it all in my pretty Le Creuset pan and sliced it.
  • Then I heated my oven to 400 degrees and put it all in for 20 min.
  • It came out looking like this:
  • It's not the prettiest thing to look at, but it is darn tasty! Nice mellow tomato flavor and yummy parmesan and garlic-y taste as well. Plus, I was able to make 6 servings out of it. Serve with a side of Trader Joe's Balsamic Butter Veggies and it would be a delicious meal!

1 comment:

  1. i don't eat beef but i imagine this would be amazing!!! with chicken :). You could have used panko instead of bread crumbs. I believe that panko is a gluten free form of bread crumbs however I could be wrong! your picture looks tasty enough to me btw. Some people believe it is all about presentation but I am one of the few who will take it virtually anyway :).


    HELLO FROM MINGLE MONDAYS btw!! I will be following you :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails