Saturday, January 2, 2010

Learning to Cook

Cooking is one of those things I've never really learned how to do properly and have vowed for 3 years that I would finally learn. This is the year it is going to happen. I've set a goal to cook once a week and I actually have cooked the last 3 days straight. Some hits, some major misses. I made a steak today that was inedible. It was supposed to marinate in balsamic vinegar, pepper, and garlic cloves overnight. It just ended up tasting like balsamic vinegar. Disgusting. Way too strong.
On the other hand, I made some pretty decent items too. My chicken stock came out well (pictures below), and my balsamic onions and brussel sprouts with pancetta and garlic came out nicely.
I also learned a lesson about roasting chicken-5 minutes too long in the oven can make a HUGE difference. I made this amazing, velvety red wine reduction sauce and poured it over the roast chicken to discover the chicken was tough and rubbery. Oh well, you win some, you lose some. So far it's been a good learning experience.













This is the chicken stock simmering. Doesn't it look pretty?















My Roasted Balsamic Onions! So yummy!














My velvety red wine sauce!














A snack size portion of my brussel sprouts and pancetta. I realized I'm not a huge fan of the way brussel sprouts taste, but I think they look gorgeous!














The mess I got to clean up after it was all done!

So, what kitchen mess-ups have you had? Also, what do you think I need to learn to cook?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails